Monday, August 18, 2008

MY Perfect Vacation

This last weekend I finally got to go to the cabin for the first time this summer. I don't know what took me so long! We have a cabin in Fairview Canyon and I owe a lot of great childhood memories to this most wonderful cabin that my grandpa built like over 30 years ago.


I think the only summer I didn't take a trip to the cabin was the one summer that I was gone on my mission. Other than that, it is a must do every single year! I can't get enough of this place.


This is our breathtaking view out the back windows.


We usually only stay at the cabin one night because there's no shower but this time we were lucky enough to stay over two nights. The first morning I woke up early and saw some deer outside.


And we saw plenty of hummingbirds. In fact, they almost attacked me once. They're not shy at all.


There are certain things we always eat at the cabin for breakfast, pancakes and hot chocolate. And for some reason they always taste twice as good as normal.


Another huge tradition we have that I've done every year ever since I can remember is go to the frog pond to catch frogs. I don't know why it's so fun. Especially since we just catch them, bring them back to the cabin, and then let them go in the pond again. Here's me and my dad searching for frogs.


The frogs were tiny this year. I don't even know if you can tell, but I'm holding one in my fingers.


Me and Amy went on an awesome 4-wheel ride. They have the most amazing trails up there for 4-wheelers with awesome views. We had so much fun!

On the trail...


We took a really long hike this year on a trail I've never been on before. It ran right along a stream and was so beautiful.



This is something we don't always do, but wish we did more. Swimming in the lake! It was surprisingly not that cold and sooooo much fun. We are so glad we brought our swimsuits so we could do this!


My dad caught the splash of my not-so-graceful jump off the tube. We laughed so hard after this we thought we might drown.


My mom got so jealous of all the fun we were having and finally decided to float around in the tube in her clothes.

Brandon didn't come with me. He's not a big fan of the cabin. But when I came home, this what I found.
He had cleaned every corner of the house and yard, and was actually a little sad because I came home a little earlier than he expected and caught him in the act. He wanted to surprise me. What better way to end a vacation? Thanks Bran, I love you!

17 comments:

Jilleen said...

Looks like fun! I always end up ruining Nate's surprises no matter what it is. I think he's given up even trying now!!

Tara said...

I don't know WHY Brandon isn't so interested in visiting the cabin...looks like TONS of fun! I'm jealous!!! Makes me want to go camping this weekend!

Hannah S said...

I'm jealous too! We love going up to the cabin. Not too many more warm weekends left either. Maybe I'll have to ask your mom, master of the keys, what is booked for the rest of the summer.

Jason and Shannon Salmon said...

Hats off to Brandon!! What a nice suprise. Looks like you had a good time at the cabin!!

Steve & Julie said...

Okay, that frog was tiny! I can't belive you can even find them. Tell Brandon that he needs to go on your vacations :) If you need me to tell him, I can do that for you. Looks like a blast.

Kali said...

Wow! The cabin looks like so much fun. And what a great husband too!

Jessica said...

How fun! I can't believe Brandon didn't want to go--but how sweet is he? That's so awesome that he cleaned for you!

Ryan + Jess said...

I'm glad you made it to the cabin - so nice to have a place where you can get away from the world for awhile!

Sarah and Bill Burke said...

Steph, It was so great to hear from you. You look great. You guys look like you are having so much fun. Good luck with the baby making. :) I have days I want another one, well a girl specifically and then your kids cry for an hour. :) No I love being a mom. It is so much fun. Tell all those other Bishops hello.

The Ensign's said...

What a fun get away.
Well it's funny you ask if I'm coming to Utah soon cause I'll be there in a week and a half. We'll have to get together. I'll be there from the 3rd (evening) to the 9th (morning) give me a call sometime and we'll plan something. (520)907-7337. Or send me your #.

Jon and Kari-Lynn Tarleton said...

Wow, how many trips can you fit in 1 summer? looks like it was a nice relaxing one this time :) Oh and I love the new layout....

Joanna said...

A clean house is the best gift any woman could come home to- props to Brandon!

Jeff Sorensen said...

You look like you had a lot of fun. I would love to see you or go out to lunch. Yes, I am with child, and Jeff just couldn't figure out the widget. It keeps changing on us. But I am about 9-10 weeks along. Little sick.

Jensen Family said...

ooo it looks so pretty there! i love cabin trips as well :) and wow..amy isn't so little anymore..its so weird to see her all grown up!

The Alands said...

How nice of Brandon to clean the house. So, I was riding my bike today, by myself, just thinking about how we used to ride bikes up the canyon. I think we should start riding up the canyon again. We have two bikes and a trailer and I live a whole lot closer to the canyon.

Winn Family said...

so you two are the coolest couple ever! You're always going and going! FUN! Oh, and you can take your vacations vicariously thru us any time (although--sounds like your vacations are AWESOME enough you need it--but it's there for ya! :)

Emily said...

I love the cabin! I can't wait to go again...we've only been once this year which is so unusual for us. We might go over conference weekend if you want to go again!