Sunday, February 23, 2020

Steph’s First Broken Bone

So, to continue on with that broken bone story. Mckinley was at a birthday party late Friday night, February 21st. We were getting ready to have a fun Friday night with the other kids when I decided to hop on the hover board to ride across the house to get more diapers for Jackson. I came back into my bedroom where everyone was, and lost my balance getting off the hover board. I fell back to my bum, and caught myself with my left hand. It hurt my hand sooo dang bad. I reached down and ripped my watch off immediately, and then said, I think I broke my wrist. And like 5 seconds after that, I knew for sure that I broke my wrist. I couldn't move my hand up or down at all. 

Brandon changed Jackson's diaper for me and I told him we needed to get him in bed and go to an instacare. I called our insurance to find out where I could go. There was a place right up the street from us that was open for another half an hour. This all happened at 8 p.m. I called a neighbor to get Mckinley from the party that ended at 9 p.m. It was 8:30 by the time we got off to go to a doctor.

At the instacare they did x-rays and told me the break was so bad that they wouldn't be able to help me there and I needed to go to an emergency room somewhere and would possibly need surgery. The guy on call at the Timpanogos ER was apparently a terrible surgeon so we drove all the way up to Salt Lake to the University of Utah hospital.

A resident came in and tried to re set my bone (they call it reduce) and boy did he ever try. He tried for hours. It didn't hurt. They numbed my arm, which was better I guess than being put to sleep for it, which was what I was told I would have to do.

He had to hang up my arm in this Chinese finger trap to let the muscles relax away. They put a weight on my arm to pull it down. This wasn't fun.

Then he yanked and yanked and thought he got it set okay, so he put a cast on me and sent me off to x-ray. After I got back he told me he wanted to try some more. So we took the cast off, he pulled and pulled again, more x-rays, and then another cast. I knew the bone wasn't staying where he wanted it to so I figured I would need surgery.

This was Friday night though so I had to wait over the weekend to even talk to a surgeon to find out what to do. This is a picture of the break from the side, you can see how swollen my arm was.


This big cast I had on was so terrible. He was trying to pull my arm as he put the cast on so it was way too long up by my fingers and I really couldn't do a single thing with my arm from Saturday to Wednesday. It hurt if I even touched my fingers on anything.

Kallie wrote me this cute note on Saturday. The kids were all so sweet. Saturday was a rough day full of lots of tears from all of us as I realized more and more things I wouldn't be able to do.

Someone (we have a strong suspicion it was my nieces down the street) heart attacked our door too. So sweet.


0 comments: