Friday, June 6, 2008

"Guess What Year It Is"

Okay, so this is a really random post and I'm sure it will be one of the ones where no one leaves a comment, but I wanted to put it on here anyway.

So every now and again when we are at Brandon's parents' house he decides to go through the fridge or the freezer and clean things out. Food tends to get lost in the back of the fridge or bottom of the freezer long past its expiration date at their house.

Well last Saturday we were over there and Brandon went on one of his dejunking the freezer crazes. He pulled out a ton of stuff but the one thing that none of us could believe was a big frozen chunk of pork. Pork shoulder to be exact.

So...as we have done in the past, Brandon said, "Guess what year it is?" Me and Shannon were there in the kitchen and I think we guessed some years around the year 2001 or 2000. Brandon said nope, you're never gonna believe this. The expiration date was 11-24-95. Yikes! Can you believe that? That's like 13 years old. And this was in the upstairs freezer, not in the deep freezer downstairs in the food storage room. We just died. Back in 1995 I was just 13 years old and I still lived in Australia. Anyway, here's a picture. You can't see the date perfectly, but I promise, it says 11-24-95!! Enlarge it and take a look.



I don't know where the pork shoulder is now, but I have to say, I wouldn't be half surprised if it made its way back in to the freezer.

9 comments:

Stacey said...

Haha, my parents freezer is exactly the same. I'm sure there are things in there that are even old than 1995. We are living with my parents right now and I've had an urge to clean their freezer myself but there is just too much stuff that I'm afraid it would take all day.

Sara said...

ook- i wonder if Karen will approve of this post. but FUNNY. I LOVEDDD cleaning the fridge and freezer when I lived there... I miss Provo!!! My family has some stuff in food storage that has french on it.. meaning... it is from when we lived in Canada.. meaning that is almost a good 8 years old, and it was probably old when we lived there... oh dear...
love you!

Barb said...

You lived in Australia? Cool...

Hannah S said...

I thought my parents had archaic stuff in their freezers and cupboards! Wow! I'll have to tell my dad this...that is too amazing.

Jennie said...

You should surprise them and make them dinner with it.

Trent & Emily Davies said...

Okay so I thought I was bad with not cleaning out my fridge and freezer but holy crap...that is crazy!

Ryan + Jess said...

OH MY GOSH!! Ry and I DIED laughing when we read it. So Ross and Karen.

And so Brandon to clean it out! Seriously, that is something I have wanted to do for EVER but it seemed like a huge project (especially the deep freeze - talk about frozen solid and I don't even want to know what is in there). Thanks for making my night!!

And beware, if you happen to have pork shoulder for Sunday dinner...you know where it's from!

Amanda&Wade said...

Oh that is hilarious steph! I had to enlarge it to see the date... way to funny! It somewhat makes me feel better though I must admit, I always wait way too long to clean out my freezer!

Jamie said...

Hi stephanie, julie just sent me a link to her blog and through it I found yours and am scrolling through looking at your life and man you go places! but about the meat. THat expiration date is right when I moved to Loren & Mary's basement. we moved in sept 95. Rachel wasn't even born yet and she just turned 12! yikes. That is a good habit your hubby has. You will always be grateful that your freezer is free of expired food.